Simple Gluten Free Chocolate & Apple Cake


One day I post about green smoothies and then I post about cake. I'm like that. This cake is amazing. As someone who counts herself 'not a cake eater' since childhood, amazing is a big call on a cake. But having made this one twice with slightly different ingredients both times I feel at liberty say - winner!

It's so moist that it's almost not cake (maybe that's why I love it?!).
It's gluten free so doesn't give you the brain fog (and other nasties we try to avoid) that comes with gluten.
It only has 5 easily found ingredients which is not something I have discovered gluten free cakes are known for.
It doesn't require hours of time or complicated skills. Just basic cake making knowledge.

A big thank you to Lorraine from Not Quite Nigella for sharing this recipe with the world!

Recipe for Vanessa's Chocolate & Apple Gluten Free Cake:

4 eggs, separated
115g/4.06oz castor/superfine sugar (I actually used raw sugar the 2nd time and it was fine)
115g/4.06oz chocolate, melted (I used 70% dark because it's delicious & I find milk too sweet)
1 medium apple, grated (I used a Granny Smith the 1st time and a Jonathan the 2nd. Both were good. Lorraine says to peel before grating. I didn't read that and it was fine!)
125g/4.4oz almond meal

1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F

2. Lightly grease and line a 20cm cake tin. (Definitely line it. The first time around I didn't and it gets a bit stuck to the bottom.)

3. Beat egg yolks with sugar until pale and creamy. Stir in melted chocolate,grated apple and almond meal.

4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into apple & chocolate mixture. (I was fairly careful to not over stir at this stage and wreak all my nice egg white bubbles. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I didn't need stir hard or much to mix it through)

5. Pour into tin and bake for 45minutes. (Roughly. Just keep an eye on it. I am terrible at following exact instructions in cooking. I think instinct counts for a lot. As does experimentation!)

6. Dust with icing sugar and serve however you like your cake.

3 comments:

  1. sounds delicious! :) I might just have to try it! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome Rachel! I'm so glad that you liked it! I know what you mean about its moistness that it's almost not like a cake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe recommendation Rachel - it worked out perfectly! I made little cupcakes for a friend's birthday & they were delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. It's nice to know you were here!